Join the Aotearoa New Zealand Academy Choir 2024
We are accepting digital and live auditions for our 2024 national training choir for ages 15-25.
You must complete this form by Friday 10 November.
Email the Choir Manager Lee if you need support or have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
There are 2 ways you can put in an audition for our 2024 choir:
- Complete a digital audition and submit it by 10 November;
- Attend a live audition in South Auckland from 12-2pm at Otara Music and Arts Centre (OMAC) on Saturday 21 October, and in Lower Hutt at the Little Theatre from 2-4pm on Saturday 4 November. If you would like to attend these auditions, please email Lee to RSVP. You can sing on your own or as part of a small group in these live auditions.
Some things about this national training choir:
- We meet for 3 or 4 days at a time, generally in the school holidays
- Choir members come from all around Aotearoa
- We have an online portal called Choir Lab where we can access all our music and other resources
- All choir members have access to Sightsingingschool.com
- We are about 80-90 singers strong, across Soprano, Alto, Tenors & Basses.
- We give performances and offer Open Rehearsals.
Our choir has 2 Music Directors, Elise Bradley & Rowan Johnston, and Robert Wiremu is our Pianist and Vocal Coach.
We aim to focus on musical learning, youth leadership and share cultural experiences.
If you want to build your knowledge about singing in a choir, meet others from all around the country, broaden your horizons and create lifetime memories, we want to hear from you!
If you join our choir, you will need to be available for most of these course dates:
- Course 1 – 26-29 January
- Course 2 – 23-26 April
- Course 3 – 10-13 July (World Choir Games)
- Course 4 – 3-5 October
We provide all your course tuition, morning and afternoon teas, provide the venues and performance opportunities. You need to get yourself to each city and arrange your own accommodation. We do call outs for billeting options, although sometimes availability can be limited in busy times.
How to Audition
We are a friendly bunch of people and look forward to hearing from you. The auditions are our chance to get to know you a bit and hear your voice.
If you are submitting a digital audition, please record the following in one, unedited take, and submit your audition through this link: https://form.jotform.com/232387937810868.
You can do the following in any order on your recording:
- Please record a video of you singing ONE of these pieces:
- Down By the Salley Gardens (C major) .pdf (1st verse only)
- Early One Morning (D major).pdf (1st verse and chorus only)
- The Turtle Dove (Fm) - Full Score.pdf (1st verse only)
- I Love my Love.pdf (1st verse only)
- Please record a video of you completing the below vocal range exercise:
- Starting at middle C, sing "yah" up the C major scale until you run out of range
- Starting at middle C, sing “yah” down the C major scale until you run out of range
- Please record a video of you singing one short piece of your own choice.
- Please record a video of your speaking a short introduction about yourself, and why you would like to join our Academy Choir.
As well as accepting video auditions up until midnight on Friday 10 November, we are offering two opportunities for you to audition in person:
- Saturday 21 October, Otara Music and Arts Centre (OMAC), Auckland
- Saturday 4 November, Little Theatre, Lower Hutt
You can audition in person on your own, or join with a small group to audition.
To sign up for a live audition, email Lee Martelli-Wood on email@example.com
There is no fee to take part in the auditions. The membership fee for the 2024 year is being finalised, but some support or subsidy may be available.
If you have any questions about the 2024 Academy Choir auditions, please email Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 021-515-373
We can't wait to hear you sing!